Air brakes are most commonly found on larger, heavy vehicles —for example, semi tractors generally have air brakes systems. Drivers must have an Air Brake Endorsement on their licence to drive these vehicles. Our course covers everything you need to know from the manual, as well as hands-on training with actual Air Brake systems. This is a 1-Day course and includes a practical SGI Exam. The cost is $250 plus GST.
Provincial regulations on air brakes:
- You must have an Air brake endorsement on your driver’s licence to drive a vehicle equipped with an air brake system.
- If you don’t have your A Endorsement, you can only drive a vehicle with air brakes as a learner as long as:
- You’re driving with someone who has the A Endorsement on their licence, and your licence allows you to drive that specific vehicle under normal conditions. If you’re driving a Class 3 or 5 vehicle licenced as a farm truck, you don’t need an air brake endorsement.
Air Brake endorsement tests:
If you pass the following tests, you can have the A Endorsement added to your licence and then you can drive vehicles with air brakes.
1. Air brake exam
- This computer-based exam tests your understanding of information in the Air Brake Manual.
- Passing grade: 80%
- Cost: $25
- Book and pre-pay online with MySGI, or call or visit a motor licence issuer.
- Tests are held at a driver exam office. Walk-ins are accepted in Regina and Saskatoon Central offices but elsewhere you need to make an appointment.
2. Practical test
- In this hands-on test, your driver examiner will ask you to show your knowledge of how the air brake system works and to show them how to adjust a manual slack adjuster on a brake model. You also have to tell the examiner the right way to adjust an automatic slack adjuster. This is all done in a parked, suitable air-brake vehicle that you provide (someone can drive it there for you or you can come with a supervising driver).
- Passing grade: 3 or fewer demerits
- Cost: $55
- Pay for your test at a motor licence issuer and call 1-844-TLK-2SGI (1-844-855-2744) to book, or call 1-844-TLK-2SGI (1-844-855-2744) to book and pay by credit card
- Pass: Validate your endorsement at a motor licence issuer. Pay your $15 fee. You can now drive vehicles with air brakes without a supervising driver.
- Fail: You can schedule another test as soon as the following day. Keep on studying.